Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797) son of Sir Robert, Britain's first Prime Minister, built Strawberry Hill to house his vast collection of treasures. He also left over 3,000 letters which are a vivid commentary on his time.
Lady Waldegrave was the chatelaine of Strawberry Hill during most of the 19th century. Preserving Walpole’s house, she added grand entertaining spaces now known as the Waldegrave Wing.
In 1923 Strawberry Hill was purchased for St Mary’s.
In 2007 it was leased to The Strawberry Hill Trust to restore and open to the public.
Strawberry Hill was filled with art, antiquities and curiosities of every period from the ancient to the modern. Walpole described his treasures in A Description of the Villa of Horace Walpole.